Well school is back and we have some semblance of a routine happening around here. Of course it was a short school week (only 3 days of school) so it wasn’t a full exercise week either. It is however a step in the right direction, I am exercising again.
- I walked 2 of the 3 school mornings this week (but slept in Friday morning due to an alarm malfunction, oh and I really didn’t feel like getting up early!) I think I was carrying 10kg in my pack for the walks (about 4km each day)
- We had to do a baseline fitness test for Kokoda training and it hurt.
- It started off with a pushup challenge. I was all set to start and was told that I should do the girl pushups. All that time earlier in the year doing real pushups and they wanted me to do the girlie ones! Oh well, who was I to complain? I totally kicked butt doing 66 pushups! I probably could have done a few more but my nose started to bleed!
- Next was a beep test. I tried my best to avoid doing it but there was nowhere to hide. Clearly not my favourite activity but being surrounded by young fit people actually got me further than I thought I would. I stopped at level 6.7 which for my age is on the good-excellent line. Who knew my fitness was decent? Go figure. Of course some of the guys I ran with made it to level 12!
- This was followed by a 1km timed walk. I don’t really know what my time was. I know it wasn’t great but I was able to talk at about a million miles an hour as I walked!
- We finished up with a plank hold. Now this is something that I normally avoid at all costs. The last time I was forced to do one was at a training session for work and I hid and barely made 20 seconds before collapsing in a heap. This time round? 90 seconds. I couldn’t believe it. Clearly the 200 situp challenge has made a difference!
- Naturally after such a session Wednesday night, I was a little sore on Thursday. I was actually glad to go for a walk that morning to walk out some of the stiffness. That day at work involved a little more exercise – a circus session. Not hard work but the stretches were great.
- By the time I made it to netball Thursday night, the stiffness had really set in. I was knackered and had no energy but played anyway, not much running was involved!
- This morning we had a real training session. We hiked Mt Macedon a couple of times, about 8km I am told. I only did about 6km, I had to accompany another guy back to the bus after he hurt his ankle. Still, 6km on a mountain with a 10kg pack wasn’t a bad morning of exercise.
- NO Cadbury Creme Eggs were eaten at all this week
- My vow to stop eating chocolate didn’t work but I did cut back, purely by necessity, there are no Easter eggs left!
- I haven’t been sleeping well but that is another story in itself.
- I think I have been dehydrated more than normal lately.
- Blah, blah, food choices, digestive issues and crampy gurgly disgustingness, blah, blah, blah. Not as bad as usual but still not great.
- I am stiff from all the training this week and am starting to remember that this will become my new normal, for the next 3 months at least.
My aims for next week
- To keep on walking.
- To eat good food more frequently. Again re-order the organic fruit delivery!
- To keep on with the official training for Kokoda.
- After my success with the plank on Wednesday I think I will get back on board with the 200 situps again, perhaps even with the pushups.