I posted ages ago about how the kids both dance and about the experiences we have had at the different dance schools that they have both attended; the teachers, the environment, the other parents and of course the crazy end of year concerts (here is the post). I think the post ended with me preferring the new studio to the old one, either that or I was just too lazy to look at moving schools again.
Anyway, information came home a few weeks ago about the end of year extravaganza and both kids decided that they wanted to take part, no surprises there. They had to sign ‘contracts’ saying they would commit to going to all of the classes and additional rehearsals, including taking time off school. They intended to go to all classes so that shouldn’t be a problem, except it is – we are going away for three weeks in November, meaning they will be missing 3 weeks of classes, less than 2 weeks before the concert date. We all sat around and talked about it rationally. They both wanted to do the concert but knew that they would be behind in the routines by being away for so long, and that they would no doubt be exhausted from the holiday and busy when we returned. Without too much cajoling from me, they said that they would miss this year’s concert and recover from their holiday. All was well, I got out of the madness easy, it was time to celebrate, or so I thought.
I withdrew the kids from the concert last week and this week girl-child’s teacher let me know that she was happy for girl-child to take part in the concert even if she did miss so many classes, she already knows all the routine and picks up new work quickly so she would cope with any last minute changes. I was still sitting on the fence being non-committal and said I would let her know after the holidays, after we all discussed it. I didn’t want one child dancing in the concert (costing me a fortune) and not the other. I know it is a cop-out, but I wasn’t going out of my way to talk to boy-child’s teacher and was hoping to let the whole concert thing slide!
As we were leaving the studio, boy-child ran ahead. I got downstairs to see boy-child chatting with his teacher. The two of them were really animated as they stirred each other up. His teacher mentioned to me that he was doing really well in his class and has amazing technique, especially since he had just admitted to ‘never practicing’! I had to ask him if he thought he would be ready to dance in the concert and the answer was a resounding ‘yes’. I mentioned that we would be away heaps in the lead up and the teacher said he would modify the routine to make sure he was able to keep up, he had worked really hard and as the youngest in the class he had the most natural ability. I have to say my parental pride went through the roof and more importantly, boy-child was positively beaming and even promised to practice, just a little bit.
What am I to do now? Both kids want to dance in the concert, both teachers think they will cope with missing out on three weeks work. I know that after 3 weeks of holidays they WILL be exhausted, add to that extra dance rehearsals and time off school and I don’t know if they (or I) will cope with it all. I want the kids to enjoy being in the concert and I especially want boy-child to continue to love dancing and keep wanting to go to classes.
I think I have answered my own questions, I want them to be in the concert. At least I have a 2 week grace period during the school holidays to decide. If the break isn’t too hectic then maybe they will survive the madness. Someone please convince me I am insane or take out a second mortgage and come to the concert with me!