After the craziness that was yesterday, I decided that I would use today as a mental health day. I was supposed to be facilitating a course at a secondary school but for the first time ever we were actually over-staffed and my attendance wasn’t strictly required. As I had been training a colleague I figured it was time for him to run the program so I could get other things done, things that would help with my overall sanity rather than workplace performance. I did a little work from home and even went in to the office to get a few other bits and pieces organised (oh how I wish I could access work emails externally, getting work done would be so much more efficient) but then what was left of the day was mine.
I began writing my to-do list
- Finish boy-child’s quilt.
- Make girl-child’s quilt, cut another few hundred squares and then get sewing.
- Help girl-child make a gift for me that I can take it with me on my adventures.
- Find or buy a latch-hook for girl-child to make a rug when I am away.
- Pack for said adventures.
- Shop for item required to pack!
- Find and buy a towel rail for the bathroom that is being renovated with the aim for it to be finished when I am away.
- Get other bathroom bits so that the vanity can be installed.
- Clean out the spare room so my mum can come and stay to help out when I am away.
- Re-organise the same spare room so a friend can move in for 6 months.
- Make more meals to stock the freezer to ensure the family eat in my absence.
- General domestic stuff that really needs doing regularly but often isn’t.
- Find time to snuggle on the couch with the kids and just enjoy being with them.
They are the things that I really need to do before I go away. Now for the things I would love to do before I fly out;
- De-clutter, get rid of crap that we don’t need.
- Clean out my study/creative space.
- Paint the bathroom after the tiles are laid and before the cabinets are installed, fix the paint work in the ensuite.
- Move excess cabinets to lil sis’s house.
- Update the kids blog – I am only 8 months behind, it shouldn’t take too long!
I looked at the list and began prioritising. I figured that the bathroom stuff really needed organising so off I went shopping for the bits and pieces that I still needed. Apparently I am very typical – everything I wanted was currently out of stock and had to be ordered in. I figured that since it was going to be a long term investment, it was worth actually ordering what I wanted rather than making do with something I didn’t really love, so the chances of the bathroom being totally finished on my return is next to impossible but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
In-between going to work and visits to numerous plumbing and bathroom supplies stores a friend called in crisis. Naturally that involved a trip to the other side of town to catch up and help with damage control. Despite the negativity of the problem at hand, it was actually great to be out and about, not thinking about myself and what I needed to do for a change. What made the journey even more unexpected was my super observant behaviour on the drive home. I was sitting at traffic lights in an area of town that I barely know. I saw a street sign with an unusual name, that was the same name as the street that an old school friend lives in. I figured that with such an uncommon street name there was a fair chance that it was the same street. A dodgy driving maneuver or 2 later, I was cruising down the street hoping I would recognise a house or car (of course I didn’t have her address in my phone and didn’t want to call just in case I was in entirely the wrong suburb!) Sure enough, there was a house that looked familiar and their family car sitting in the driveway.
I knocked at the door and was greeted by a squeal of delight. I spent the next half hour or so chatting with her and her boys and making plans to try and be better friends by catching up more frequently. It was delightful seeing them all again, even if they were all barely recovered from a treacherous lurgy.
I guess what I am getting at is that I didn’t get much done today but I had a great day. I have recharged somewhat and feel better equipped to deal with the next few weeks.
Did I mention that this time next week I will be packed and ready to go? Hopefully I will be tucked up in my bed, enjoying the luxury of sleeping on a mattress for the last time in 10 days! Realistically I will either be so paranoid that I will miss my alarm that won’t be able to sleep or spend my night running to the bathroom, just in case.