Today is my first full-ish day back at work and I am overjoyed. This morning could be and should be a typical Monday morning for us. Get up and make sure kids eat breakfast, brush their teeth and put on their school uniforms. As they are getting ready, I find time to make lunches, prepare snacks for on the way to drama class and pre-plan something (anything) for dinner. I try to eat something healthy, pack something that could be called lunch for myself, get ready for work and then we all run out the door. As it is a full day; school, then work and a mad dash to an after-school activity, we drive to school and then I go on to work after sitting through the school assembly.
What made this morning not so typical?
- I went to bed later than anticipated, so I didn’t get up to go for a walk/jog, but I didn’t actually sleep in
- Man-child actually woke early enough to be useful before leaving for work – early
- We were all ready early enough to allow the kids to watch a few minutes of TV
- Watching the aforementioned few minutes of TV made us later than planned (leaving us no time for a play in the school grounds before school)
- Boy-child found some snacks to eat before we were leaving and had to brush his teeth again, making us late
- What was with the traffic? We turned off the direct route to school and zipped through the rabbit warren that is the back streets, making it to school just in time.
- I couldn’t find where I put my phone when we arrived at school. I figured it must have been in my backpack so didn’t look too hard for it. I jumped out of the car and saw it sitting on the roof. Thank God for silicone phone covers!
- As I wasn’t too eager to get to work, I let the kids convince me to stay for their assembly. I was glad that I stayed, girl-child won an award at her first assembly for always putting her hand up when she has something to say! Go Boo, I am so proud. She looked so adorable standing at the front of the hall with her certificate. Of course I didn’t have my camera with me so I had to make do with a fuzzy iphone photo.
- I wanted to get a real photo, and since I was already late for work, I decided to detour back home to get a camera so that I could take a photo after school. I walked inside and through to the back of the house, only to be met by a giant puddle of water and bubbles. Apparently the washing machine is well and truly on its last legs. I didn’t have time to clean up properly, but I spread towels out to soak up the mess and turned the machine back on. I walked out the door crossing my fingers that the machine would work and not flood again.
- Finally I made it into work after a few weeks leave to be greeted by an empty office (I have no idea where the rest of my team are – fantastic communication!) and 269 emails. I think my day is going to be full and uninspiring. Fortunately I have passed the half way mark for the day. Only 2 1/2 hours to go, not that I am counting…
So that is my not so typical Monday morning. I wonder what the afternoon will have in store?