Feeling Old

30 Nov

Yep, I’m old.  Going out 2 nights in a row really hurts!

The first night out was a fantastic night.  The wedding was simple and beautiful and the reception was relaxed and fun.  The guests were all interesting and many were people I have worked with in the past so it was great to catch up but by 10pm I was yawning and struggling to keep my eyes open.  Everyone, me included, wanted to kick on so I tried to drink some Red Bull.  Bad idea, sugary badness on a belly full of bubbles was not ideal. 

The Red Bull couldn’t keep me awake at the reception, but at 3am, after a few short hours of sleep I was wide awake.  I was exhausted I just couldn’t get back to sleep.  I tried reading, I tried games on my phone, I tried staring at the ceiling but nothing worked.  I thought about blogging then, but my thought processes were too alien to make any sense.

When I was still awake at 4am, I got up and started sewing.  I had to sew a fluffy feathery trim on 10 dance costumes.  Surely monotonous hand sewing would make me fall asleep right?  Wrong!  

I finished sewing at 6 and I was still awake.  By now it was light and I was way beyond exhausted.  I crawled into bed practically begging for sleep.  At some stage I did drift off, but way too late to get any decent sleep.

The kids were staying at my sisters for the day so we went shopping.  Although I was tired, it was fun.  Shopping when there is no urgency to buy was enjoyable.  We even managed to pick up a few stocking fillers for Christmas.  

Before I knew it, it was time to take girl-child to her orientation picnic and then get ready to go out again.  It was like groundhog day, wearing make-up and actually doing my hair 2 days in a row, wearing ‘real’ clothes (dresses in fact) and shoes that weren’t docs, crocs or birkenstocks was crazy.  

The engagement party was for a friend who is a few years younger than me.  As a result, the majority of the guests were also younger.  It may have only been a few years, but I felt like I was from another planet.  Another work colleague was there with us, so at least we had someone else to bag the crap out of all the young kids talk to.  I felt old.  We tactfully waited for a few of the engaged couple’s relatives to leave before we felt it was appropriate and polite to leave.  That being said, it was still close to 1am before we made it home.  

My body seems to be in early awake mode, so again I awoke too early for a day when I didn’t need to.  It wasn’t entirely a bad thing, I had some additional costume requirements that were dropped off overnight.  I had to finish them for a photo shoot today, so the extra time was useful.  

The kids arrived home to give me time to do girl-child’s hair in curls before heading in for the photos.  The kids looked great, the parents were painful but the day was over and done with nice and early, early enough to come back and have a quiet afternoon of catch up.


I know that I promised that I would post photos of the reasons for my lame posting – photos of the wedding and of the engagement party, but those photos were really ordinary.  Instead, here are a few of my favourite photos from today!

All Curly

All Curly

Girl-child has her hair done but still has vegemite on her face.  She is waiting for her make-up and costume.


Waiting Patiently

Waiting Patiently

Boy-child wonders why it takes so long for all of the girls to get ready!

Leave a comment

Posted by on November 30, 2008 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: